Where to find me online

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Intelligence, maturity, love

I think it was Socrates who thought it was a sign of intelligence when you can understand a notion you do not agree with, but I disagree. You actually have no moral justification to agree with or disagree with an idea you do not understand.

Perhaps something is lost in translation but it seems to me it is a sign of maturity when you can genuinely understand an idea you do not agree with to the satisfaction of those who hold it dear. Sadly most people begin critiquing the faults of an idea before they give themselves an opportunity to genuinely appreciate it from a standpoint that is not their own.

What do you have to lose by simply understanding an idea you do not agree with? Is it really difficult or is it just repulsive? Maybe our consistency is in part due to our willful and deliberate blindness.

My friend Warren Aldrich said, "It seems to me that the value of understanding is about the person who you are conversing with. Having this idea be abstract is nice but when it's in relationship to another it becomes love."

Well said Warren.

No comments:

Post a Comment