Where to find me online

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The nature of scripture

I accept the idea that those who wrote scripture were moved by the Holy Spirit. I think the phrase "God-breathed" says a lot. The human authors were deeply touched by the authenticity of their encounter with God and I believe they encountered the living "breathing" God in a manner where He actually manifested more of Himself than was typical which was part of why it "inspired" them to share with the rest of us. However, what they wrote and what they understood was nothing more than the sense THEY made of the encounter.

The bible is therefore a book that allows us to examine for ourselves just how certain people responded to an unusual and highly authentic encounter with YHWH.

But this idea that the text is not only authentically true but also somehow inerrant or credible in every assertion, is just wishful thinking by people who are intimidated by the task of taking responsibility for their own perspective and therefore are hoping God will help them bypass the process of making sense of things. The popular view of scripture stunts our genuine growth toward God and makes us use the authors of scripture as our filter or mediator instead of taking up the opportunity to encounter God for ourselves first hand.

And today Christ lives in the believer. Talk about God-breathed! WOW!

7 comments:

  1. I just say Wow to you, Mr Greaves. Lovely post and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in line with this thinking Bob, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Apostle Paul, a guy who wrote about three-quarters of the NT might agree with you. He was a guy who experienced the visions of God, but admitted that his understanding was limited. 1Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about inspired and God-breathed!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Refreshing and well put. It was a huge relief to me when I finally decided the Bible was only God breathed, as opposed to completely inerrant. It allowed me to silence by "yeah buts" and take off my selective blind folds off, and just glean what I can for myself.

    ReplyDelete